22.6.10

Pasteis de nata : recipe



I notice.
It's maybe strange to say,
but I did and I do.

My mother tells me hilarious stories,
about me noticing things when I was a little girl.

One of my favorite stories is when my mother's friend came to visit.
I was very little.
Of course I secretly stared from the corner of the room.
And when she was gone,
I began telling my mother stories about a lady with huge balls of
sand in her eyes.
And the way she ate her cookie was like this,
do you know she had a weird toe too?

My mother always smiled of course,
knowing I was telling all the details one could see about her friend today.

Today I still notice.
From people's new haircut to spotting a little change in make up.
Kiefer is just like me,
even before he could speak,
he pointed with his finger,
the little changes we sometimes made in the living room
while he was sleeping.

The world can be overwhelming and a little scary too
when you are little and notice a lot.
I notice in Kiefer,
and still notice in me.....


To celebrate CV a little 'must bake'.

Pasteis De Nata

This is proper slow food.
Make sure you bake them for a crowd,
otherwise you will eat them all by yourself.




Recipe by the lovely, beautiful and talented (Yes, I am a fan):

For the Dough:

250 g cold unsalted butter
250 g flour
40 g fine white sugar
pinch of salt.

Mix all in a food processor till it forms crumbs.
Add two or three table spoons of cold water.
Make a dough,
leave in fridge for a couple of hours,
wrapped in cling film.





Take out the dough,
roll out
try to make a rectangle
(40 by 35 cm)





Cut in half
make two huge sausages.





Cut 6 little ones out of 1 big





Put a little sausage straight up,
push with your thumbs the dough
into the greased muffin tin.
Leave in fridge while you start the custard.





Custard:

100 g fine white sugar
30 g flour
185 ml milk
1 vanilla pod
rind of lemon (1 big piece)
3 egg yolks
125 ml single cream





In a saucepan:
3 tablespoons of water and all sugar.
Leave to simmer until it thickens a bit, but doesn't caramelize.

Put the flour in a bowl and add a bit of the milk.
Stir until it forms a paste.
Leave aside.

In another saucepan:
Put in the rest of the milk, the lemon rind and a vanilla pod.
When it's a bit warmed up, take the vanilla pod out and cut in half.
Scrape out the marrow with a knife and put in the milk.
Leave until it almost boils.
Take out the lemon rind,
stir in to the flour paste and whisk well.
Add the egg yolks,
put mixture back in the saucepan on a low heat
and whisk for two minutes until smooth.
Take off the heat and add sugar sirup slowly while whisking.

Put in something that pours easily.





Preheat the oven (220 degrees)
Pour mixture in dough cups,
fill for ¾ .





Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or golden brown.....






23 opmerkingen:

jane zei

what a treat! thank you guusje!
p.s. i know exactly what you mean:)

Kenza zei

Oh lovely story about "noticing". What joy for you and Keifer. A real gift!

et lille oejeblik - a little moment zei

what a sweet memory :)

it's all about the details, isn't it.

Patricia zei

Oja, da mannen hier in huis zien niets ;)
Maar de vrouwen zien alles!!!
Lekker recept!

Happy day xo

Lollipop zei

pasteis de nata, my favorite!
and I love your cv...
My babies were the same.
lovely words ♥ ♥ ♥

Yanyan zei

Lovely story! My husband is the same, he will notice those details that it will never be noticed by me. And Landon is just like daddy. Got hungry looking at the pictures of the dessert. Have to try that one this weekend!

Maia zei

I would eat that all myself ;)

I have my head in the clouds, but my daughter is like you: she notices everything...every tiny change or detail. She has a photographic memory and it's like her brain carries detailed maps of everything she's seen.

zei

So sweet - awareness is another word which comes in my mind! I am a "noticer", too. As you say, haircut, change in outward appearances, spots, I have a great photographic memory of people but I am so very bad in names... even if I saw a person just once, I know him/her at once but the name? I always think I am too busy with observing the person than being able to concentrate on the name...


XX Nina

Jolanda (ladyknit) zei

Dat is een aangename verrassing. Bedankt voor het recept!

anna zei

herkenbaar :) en YUM!
(over haircuts, heb je je haar nou kort(er) of lijkt dat maar zo? )

Mlle Paradis zei

beautiful post! i love the idea that the custard tarts are only subtly flavored with the lemon peel.

i also like your observation about "noticing". it's so true. and sometimes it can be overwhelming even to oneself. "too much information". i wouldn't want to be the kind of person who misses alot though either!

the noticing IS rewarding. and sometimes very useful.

Theresa zei

Could you come bake for me while I am on the road?

Guusje zei

@ Anna, my hair is shorter, but still long (I had to get rid of dead hair from my dreadlock disaster) on the picture I have a ponytail and a long fringe. Looks short, but is not. xxxx

inaluxe zei

Hello Guusje! yummy yummy yummy.... makes me want to go and cook right now, but I probably won't becuase I don't have the time. I loooooved your description about 'noticing' it was so beautifully written. I smiled all the way through. Hope you're having fun. xo

liset zei

Mmmmhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

likeschocolate zei

Thanks for the recipe and what a sweet story!

Remke zei

Ik heb ze gemaakt en ze zijn heerlijk! Ik had nooit eerder custard zelf gemaakt maar het is super simpel :P

Guusje zei

Mooi Zo! Lekker he?

Bichos da Matos zei

What a surprise seeing here pastéis de nata;) You seem to be a great cook!

Juniper zei

I so love this post! Can't wait to make these tasty treats, thank you for sharing it!! I do remember you noticing things! It's a very nice quality, means you are very present and observant in the moment.

heleen zei

Hoi Guusje,
wat leuk om zulke verhalen van je moeder te horen! Ik ga dat recept ook proberen, ik heb eergisteren het no kneed bread gemaakt, WOW!!!! Die blijft erin, veel beter dan het brood wat ik eerst maakte.

groetjes, heleen (ook nogal een observerend type)

Moment to Moment zei

yum! That looks so delicious, also loved the garland.

Blogger zei

Did you know that you can shorten your links with Shortest and make dollars from every visitor to your short urls.